Saturday, September 18, 2010

Spring storm


'There's a storm on its way, as big as Australia!' said my neighbour as I hurried down the driveway yesterday, just beating the rain. Sure enough, it struck just at dusk, lifting the table from my balcony and hurling it to the other end in two parts, along with a couple of chairs. I thought of how disruptive spring can be. This week delivered both pleasant surprises and not-so-pleasant shocks. A situation that seemed all in place, suddenly switched direction, just like the westerly wind that abruptly shifted to the north and rattled the ranch sliders

How do we stay steady at such times? Boaties check their anchors before a storm. I breathe, slow down, sit in meditation, and remember what gives me anchorage: the love of friends and family, routines, spiritual wisdom, nourishing books and slow-simmering food. I remember to trust that when something is swept away, it makes space for a different order and fresh offerings.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I remember to trust that when something is swept away, it makes space for a different order and fresh offerings." I like this. It gives me pause to think and I will take it with me as I end my day here in the midwest. Thank you.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

And what a storm it was, I was at a wedding and in spite and the noise from thunder, rain and severe wind it was a wonderful family time. A time of celebration and family togetherness. We saw the results of the storm on our drive home, we could see where large trees had been moved to clear the road and smaller branches and torn leaves could be seen all the way home but it was an exciting drive too.

Unknown said...

I too was at the wedding with the storm raging outside the see-through heavy plastic awnings. Lightning and thunder, wind and rain, and us all tucked into hearty wedding festival food and the warmth of loving family! I love your post Juliet. Thank you.

Jem's World said...

Hi Juliet, The power of the weather always amazes me. Even in one day it can change so much. I'm glad you all got through this storm safely. Jane xx

Juliet said...

Thank you all for your comments. What an amazing start to married life, to have the warmth of celebration and family there in the midst of the storm!